2ND ANNUAL PRAIRIE BURN 100
FEB 5, 2020
JUNE 5–6, 2020
JUNE 6, 2020
The inaugural Prairie Burn Gravel Ride and Music Festival was a huge success! We had 161 riders participate in our non-competitive gravel cycling experience of either 25, 50 and 100-mile loops around Grinnell. Looking into year two, we plan to have a similar setup with three routes looping back to Central Park. We'll have even more activities in Central Park plus MORE music, food and beverages on Friday night. Be sure to check back here often for updates.
Interested in sponsoring our 2020 event? Download our media kit for details or contact us at email@example.com.
Proceeds from the Prairie Burn 100 benefit Imagine Grinnell, a non-profit organization supporting a healthy and sustainable Grinnell community. Please consider donating to make a lasting impact on our town and to help make the 2020 Prairie Burn bigger and better.
June 5 & 6, 2020
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS TO BE ANNOUNCED
About the Ride
Is it a race?
Nope, but go ahead and git 'er done in a hurry if that's what you want.
This event is about having a good time, making connections and promoting all the good that comes from cycling. Proceeds from the event will go to Imagine Grinnell, a non-profit organization that makes the world a better place (or at least cities named Grinnell).
The course makes an initial 25 mile "Spark" loop. Pull your iron out of the fire at that point if you want to or continue on for a second, different 25 mile loop to complete the 50 Mile "Bonfire." For the ultimate gravel goodness, complete the final 50 mile loop for the full-on Prairie Burn 100.
Each loop of the course returns to the start at Central Park so you can refuel as needed. Everyone is invited to enjoy live music and awesome food at Central Park after the ride. To foster a more casual vibe, there will be no official results apart from a list of successful finishers of each course.
1. Even though this is a laid-back event: YOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR YOU. We will have very limited ability to bail you out if you have a bad experience out on the roads. Know how to fix a flat or at least ride with someone who does. Have a cell phone and a bail-out plan if your ride goes up in smoke.
2. Don't be a jerk. Be respectful to your fellow cyclists, the residents of Grinnell and the members of the rural community. Make everyone glad that you are here.
3. Obey all traffic laws. 100% of the course will be open to vehicle traffic so don't become a hood ornament.
4. Stay to right hand side of the road at all times, especially when cresting a hill. Again, don't become a hood ornament.
5. Each participant is considered to be on a private excursion and remains solely responsible for any accidents in which they might be involved. The event organizers accept no responsibility for participants becoming lost, injured or worse.
6. Do not litter.
7. We will use the honor system to recognize who successfully finished each loop following the prescribed route. If you must leave the route for any reason, then return to the route where you left off, or let the event organizers know that you are bailing. This is for your safety and for the integrity of the ride.
8. This is a self-supported ride. Once the cyclists leave Grinnell, no outside support from friends or spectators is allowed. This is for the safety of the participants and spectators as we want minimize vehicle traffic on the course. If a participant needs to quit while out on the course, they may have their support person come and get them. Please contact the event organizer if this is the case so that we don't have to come look for you.
9. E-bikes are welcome! Just remember that this isn't a race and be ready in case of battery malfunction.
10. There are no official cut-off times for the 25 mile or 50 mile loops but all cyclists must be in by 7:00 PM (9.1 MPH average for those doing the full 100 miles). This is so that we don't have to come looking for you and so you don't miss out on the live music.
11. Cue cards and GPX files will be provided for navigation. Use both so you don't get lost out there.